Tuesday 2 September 2008

A Small Miracle - Bleedin thousands of em

I had mentioned earlier that I had planted out some seed of my own into the starter plugs. Well on a fine Sunny Saturday at the beginning of June we sat on the lawn of the back garden and did just that with my elder son.

We peeled the green plastic trays apart and filled each compartment with the expensive potting compost.

The packets of seed that we had collected were a mixture of things we either really wanted to eat or took our fancy when we had scanned the seed sections at a couple of local garden centres.

In went a packet of sweet corn. My boy was good at this one. Big seeds one per pot...No problem.
Then Swiss Chard described by some as Spinach on Steroids, some green hearting Salads, a pack of French Dwarf beans, Parsnip seeds thinly and Beetroots.

Finally I had a pack of a thousand carrot seeds. We opened the packet and started drilling three to four seeds in each tiny pug. Then the phone rang and so I left my boy to carry on while I spoke to some Bangalore call centre from npower or some other company. I don’t know how you handle these calls but I like to let them speak, go through their pitch, get them to explain things in great detail so as to make the call last for 20 minutes or more and then say you're not interested. Put the phone down and break into an evil laugh.

My boy was in the garden drowning one of the seed trays with a 10 litre watering can. "I’ve finished the Carrots dad" hmmmmmm..... He had upped the number of seeds per plug by a few hundred each. You gotta love a six year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi from Cazaux's Food Factory,

Hope you enjoyed the post, feel free to say hi, laugh at my ramblings, ask a question etc.

Regards,

CFF