Monday 20 October 2008

Dammit - Mouldy pumpkin

The last of my pumpkin pickings had a couple of tiny little bites taken out of it over the plot a so I picked it and have had it on shelving in the garage.

I took a look at it last night and was disappointed to see that the fruit has begun to go bad. The two areas with the bite marks have dark bruising and the top has done a little brown and is soft to touch.

Such a shame as Max was going to take this one into school to carve it for Halloween. I can't give him the mouldy pumpkin for Halloween carving. It would make for an authentic living dead zombie pumpkin with ooze and flies buzzing around but I don’t think his mates would be too impressed though. So I'll do the right thing and keep the seed from my putrid fruit and cast the remains into the compost heap.

I have another, but that one is a picture of health even though it was picked several weeks before.

It’s a small hundred weight with a fantastic shape and I was really looking forward to trying a few recipes’ I've seen on vegbox. It's only fair I give him that one as he's been telling his school friends about his amazing pumpkin he's going to bring in. So no more home made pumpkin ravioli until next year.

Hmmmmm.

I've had another good clear out on the plot.

The cucumber finally got it. I had one last large gherkin sized fruit which went into the swag bag.

The two remaining courgette plants had half a dozen strange shaped fruits that were curly, thin at the stem but fat ended. They were begging to be picked so up they came.

The peppers under the large water bottle cloches were stripped off still green. The plants are not going to survive that long and something ate half of one last week so I'd rather have green peppers that half eaten or frost blackened ones.

My late peas provided forty or so pods. I really had no expectation of these at all given they went in so late.

Dug up several parsnips for Sunday’s dinner. I'm loving these and they just keep getting better.

Bagged the last couple of squashes. These will be for my little one Jenson, who loved them last time I was eating one he came over and practically ate half my dinner.

Lastly I pulled a celery for some crunchy peanut butter snacking with a glass of full fat milk. (Who said Celery had to be healthy)


With the exception of the peas which are flowering like crazy and hold loads of sugar snaps waiting to fatten, all the cucurbits were on their last legs so I ripped them all up, removed all the string and supports and threw them into my compost heap.

Summer crops are officially finished apart from the beans which are turning papery brown in their pods for storing. I'm going to tear them down on Sunday and dig over.

2 comments:

  1. Shame about the pumkin but can you get me a picture of max with the ne one for halloween.

    dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do pops. Hope your leg is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete

Hi from Cazaux's Food Factory,

Hope you enjoyed the post, feel free to say hi, laugh at my ramblings, ask a question etc.

Regards,

CFF