Friday 1 May 2009

Homegrown corn on the cob is out of this world


Hands up who has ever grown Sweet corn and rushed home with a bunch of fat ears, ripping off the outer layers on route to expose ten inch yellow hand grenades, perfectly formed without a missing corn or a weevil in sight?

I have, it took me 23 minutes to get up and back from my plot, rip off half a dozen little beauties and back home again to a big old pan I started boiling before I sat off. I ripped off the outer leaves and threw them all in the steaming pot as quick as possible to get the sweetest corn that literally no amount of money can buy you from any market in the world.

This was the highlight of 2008's season; I can't recall anything that I grew last year that had the "Oh My God! Pat yourself on the back farmer - you've just cultivated sex on a cob" factor as I munched through three of them, butter dripping from my chin and an Ice cold beer. Max was just as impressed although he's six and had to settle with a soft drink, I think this was the day we both developed the obsession with corn on the cob.

On that 6th September 2008, I made a promise to myself to grow more than the 16 plants I had experimented with, and this year I will be hoping to beat the 23 minute bar.

Why is it so important to get them from plot to Cocotte in the fastest time possible? Well, it is because the natural sugars that are in sweet corns begin to turn into starch from the moment you pick them. You could do a taste test to compare that within just two hours, there is a marked difference with the taste that most people, especially sweet teeth would notice.

Leave it another day and 60% of the natural sugars that exist may have turned leaving you a very different product from your food factory.

The same can be said of peas, that's why many people adore the frozen variety as the farms scoop up the entire plants, shell them and fast freeze them within a matter of hours to capture the sweet flavours, but find the peas to pod from your local supermarkets and vegetable stalls quiet mealy.

Growing sweet corn is a doddle.

I Started by buying root trainers or you could use toilet rolls three weeks back, then placed a single seed into each cell filled with general compost, planting 64 in total. Then I take a pencil and push them gently into the compost, cover with a bit more compost and drench them with warm water from the kitchen sink. Pop a lid on your sowings and leave for a week or so.

After a week or so you should find most of your sweet corn has popped up and you can take the lid off and drench them once again in Luke warm water but leave the lid off this time.

Wait another week and they should be six inches tall and if you are feeling confident that we are going to have the hottest summer in living history then you can prepare to plant them out now.

You can prepare the plot for them by digging deep and incorporating as much organic material as possible. I personally dumped four bags of horse muck and a couple of barrow loads of home brew compost. Then I borrowed James Mantis and tilled the area and piled it up so the bed was raised above the natural level of the plot. I cover the area with gardener’s membrane and slit holes every 18 inches (40cm) leaving 22 Inches between rows so you can sent you kids in to pick them.

From the 64 I planted I was happy with 63 that germinated.



Last weekend I planted five rows of nine plants, I have held back four in-case a few don’t take and gave the remaining thirteen to Bob, he gives me way too much stuff so it was great to repay the compliment. I think he was happy as he was still chitting his corn (Something I don’t bother with).

According to many threads you can plant closer than this but in doing so you run the risk of reducing the yield. At these distances you should expect 1.5 (Average) cobs over your crop so I’m going to be eating plenty come August with a bit of luck and some supercharged summer days.

7 comments:

  1. Well timed post, thank you as our corn is ready to go out to the plot it is about 6'' high now.I was going to go with the planting distance in the books which is about 12'' apart.You give excellent reason for the wider spread!We are also going to interplant with squash something we have not grown before either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I envy your Southern location. Here in the frost ravaged North, I planted my sweetcorn (or rather my 3 year old daughter did) just this morning and put them somewhere warm to germinate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, totally agree. Nothing so delicious as fresh, fresh corn. Just put mine out and can't wait for August!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the Sunny side Rob, you'll be picking corn with your daughter when mine will have been eaten/frozen/thrown onto the compost.

    Good to see you have planted yours too SM and Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have planted some baby sweet corn but your post is making me want to bin them in favour of big and beautiful ones instead. It is the butter and the cold beer that did it. I predict a warm summer (based on no facts but that I want one) so I'm sure your sweetcorn will be great again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please let me know how you get on with the babycorn. We had some little ones on the maincrop last year which were eaten raw but we have never grown a mini variety.

    Are they the type you eat "cob and all" or are they short sweetcorns?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are a variety called 'baby corn' that my mother in law gave me. It says that you harvest them when they are immature cobs. When the silks first show above the husks. Then you can use them in stir frys and things.

    ReplyDelete

Hi from Cazaux's Food Factory,

Hope you enjoyed the post, feel free to say hi, laugh at my ramblings, ask a question etc.

Regards,

CFF