Tuesday 26 May 2009

High point/Low Point

Rob from A plot too far wished me a happy anniversary and asked me what were the high/low points during my first year attempting to turn dirt and seeds into something fit for the dinner table.

The Highs really outweighed the lows although there were a few; I had to think harder to include them to balance out the post.

High point/low point

High Point: Kids Got involved in the sowing, growing and harvesting which opened their eyes and filled their bellies with the freshest veg money cant buy and only a hop skip and jump (into a puddle) away from our family home kept them active and more importantly away from the play station and television.

Low point: Kids had a theory of why plant one seed when one hundred would be more fun. The carrots were a disaster as was the early salad sowings I didn't thin out too much either. The carrots came out in tangled clods looked like a banshees hand and were impossible to clean or eat unfortunately.

High point: Learning from mistakes was invaluable from planting spacing (see above) to calculating cropping times for follow on crops and grouping of vegetable types so that you can concentrate on a bed knowing all the plants need the same treatment. This year has been much more rewarding already and nothing has died (yet).

Low point: Grew three Aubergines outdoors and cropped one "bitter" aubergine. Haven’t bothered this year. May try them in the green house next year but they are off the food factory floor for 2009.

High point: Eating Sunday Roast with my parents with every single veg including Potatoes, Sweet corn, Cabbages, Swede, Peas and of course the courgettes which I took my own body weight home in Last Autumn.

Low point: Not netting up my Purple sprouting broccoli and finding it razored by the mauling pigeons and having to rely on handouts from kind plot holders to taste what I was missing.

High point: Taking in a fantastic evening over the plot with Michael and shooting dead several fat pigeons from their vantage points in the oak trees. We prepared them on the spot and had a barbeque of pigeon breast, courgettes onions and sweet corn. They eat our veg, we eat them.

Low point: Having prized marrow and produce pinched. They always took the best that I had and it annoyed me to think it was probably fellow plot holders rather than kids. The oiks that do occasionally cause a bit of hassle are more intent on destruction of property and kicking your veg about than pinching it.

High point: health and well being has been improved no end. With a farmers tan and losing a bit of weight I feel better now than I had for years.

Low point: Shed being broken into and kids tools being burnt in the shed was a "bad day". Fortunately I shrugged it off and bought some replacements so to the idiots who did it. I’m over it and you're still losers most likely doing community service by now……parp.

High point: Kindness in these times from complete strangers is a rare occurrence. Not on the allotment though. Far from it, I have seen sincerity; kindness and fellowship flourish into friendships in a short space of time. My boy’s love it too as there are so many kids to play with.

Low point: Weeds. Do they ever give up? I watched the gardener’s world and uktv gardening programmes in disbelief as they potter around doing the planting, potting up and designing. Not once have I seen them in a situation where they have left the kitchen garden for a split second to find half the plot has been swamped in Fat hen, dandelions, couch grass and bind weed.

High point: Seeing James happy as a kid with a box of matches with his new toy. Scorching up the weeds and his paths with a flamethrower.

Low Point: Driving up to my plot after several days of torrential rain only to get the car stuck in a rut and having to walk home and get the wife and mother in law up to help me tow it out. This caused a stupid argument over my stupid actions. Needless to say I apologised and no longer drive in the bog.

High point: Coming home from summer holidays to find that several plot holders had been kindly watering for me whilst I was away and the whole garden looking fantastic.

Low point: Spending several months looking after the pumpkin plant only for them to get a few nicks taken out of them and going mouldy. Still I had one decent one and you can only eat so much.

High Point: Appreciating the seasonal changes with every passing day leading up to the summer equinox through to the stillness of its winter opposite. With the exception of the bitter February it was always a pleasure to be in the open experiencing with new eyes the changing of the seasons.

Low Point: Tomato Blight - It’s a bitch.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you have certainly thought everything out and balanced everything out! I had missed out on some bits before I found your blog, the mindless vandalism is heart breaking especially for the kids but eating the pigeons..? yuk!!I would just shoot them and leave the bodies as a warning to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, CFF. A lot of recognition in there for me. Every year has its own highs and lows, and why some things grow well and others don't is often (to me) a mystery. Last year, for instance, I had the most astonishingly prolific pea crop I've ever had. No reason I could see, except perhaps the weather... but other things that should have done well in the rain didn't. So WTF is going on there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Thanks for your comment. Would you believe, I have just made a thai vegetable curry using that courgette! I now have 4 of them, and was wondering what to do with them apart from roasting etc. I need some inspiration.... my hubby is a bit of a meat and two veg sort of guy, so is reluctant to try anything new! I'll let you know how it goes.... Tatty

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmm. thai vegetable curry.

    Whats your recipe? do tell.... :O)

    Thanks Peggy and Soilman, failures are something you have to learn to cope with, Success should therefore be trumpetted in equal measures.

    ReplyDelete

Hi from Cazaux's Food Factory,

Hope you enjoyed the post, feel free to say hi, laugh at my ramblings, ask a question etc.

Regards,

CFF