Tuesday 20 January 2009

Garden life - The elevator pitch

Go figure? Last week my wife agreed that I could get a small, inexpensive polycarbonate green house for the garden, I was more excited when it arrived by courier the next day than when we took home a brand new BMW from the showroom a couple of years ago. That’s pretty weird by any accounts isn’t it? So I am asking myself the question why an aluminium frame with cheap plastic windows could do that?

I mean in my teenage years what I wanted changed every five minutes. Gardening was a chore you did to tap your parents up for some cash to go out somewhere. Gardens were for playing football, sneaky cigarettes and putting tents up in.

In my twenties I wanted a career path, to get on the housing ladder and to drive a nice car – the sort I bought would have been beyond my wildest dreams. Gardens were still a chore but you could enjoy social barbeques and the nice old couple would pop their heads over the fence and hand over a paper bag of home grown tomatoes and runner beans - Half went in the bin, not appreciating the care and attention that old Mr "whats-hisname" provided his plants to be able to give them to me.

In my thirties I have slowly woken up to the fact that I will not be a famous sports-star or the next Richard Branson - Infact I am pretty crap at most sports and I'd rather eat a dog shit sandwich than go to the gym.

I don’t know what made me apply for a plot, it just happened, I picked up the phone without really reading "The new Hype" or watching the endless celebrity chef's and household favourite gardeners programs - it just happened. It just so happened to be the best thing I did last year.

A lot of people won’t understand, fair enough, each to their own. In my pursuit of happiness I have found something that I am pretty good at, is dirt cheap (sorry), and allows me to spend quality time with my boys without the distractions of modern technology.

It's much healthier than watching somebody else do it on the idiot box, I'm fitter than I have been in ages without stepping into a gym or pounding a treadmill, and have experienced my first harvests - some good, others not so good. But the experience has been a wholly enjoyable one.

Maybe I'm just getting too much fresh air these days. Note to me: Stop ebaying gardening products.

Or Maybe when Barrack Obama takes over the Western world, it seems fitting that the most famous phrase from the United States Declaration of Independence rings true to me today . "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness ".

- Now thats possibly what its all about, I could have picked up the fishing bug, or Golf, or bowling or hunting with rifles but this hobby clicked first and it makes me happy. Cars to me are things you use to get from A to B in. (And loading up the boot with well rotted Horse muck).

6 comments:

  1. Fortunately your preaching to 'your own' writing on here - we understand ;>)

    A considerable number of plot holders on our site are in their 30s and have children, you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I think you ramble on more than I do. Pleasure to meet you. Now watch out for those alien death icicles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. having a plot and involving the children gives them a sense of where 'stuff' comes from. Eating your own turnips beats trying to digest the tough woody things that masquerade as veg in the store!
    I have a plot in Ireland, we are just starting our 3rd year and for the first time it is all dug up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. peggy, rob, nikki......et all

    I know I ramble.....Thats the point of putting tip to board. Another outlet for the mundane 9 to five that keeps you sane....of sorts.
    I hope you are on the mend rob, Looking forward to your next post.

    Nikki, if you ever fancy a career change I would say that a job is yours with our home grown celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey

    Peggy - My kids, especially Max the elder six year old will no doubt have a different perspective/respect of how and where his food comes from. They both enjoy their greens now and don't know what a kfc tastes like. Thanks for the comment. You have a link and I hope you could do the same. Exellent, another blog to follow.

    Bring on the spring equinox.... Its going to be a shorcha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting and putting up a link, have done likewise and hopefully we will all learn from each other. My grandson Kevin aged 6 has been out on the plot with me since we started, he is my chief gardener and has actually taken his interest to school with him and is on the green committee for his class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, that man!

    I have NOT lost any weight at the plot, sadly, but in every other point I couldn't identify more.

    ReplyDelete

Hi from Cazaux's Food Factory,

Hope you enjoyed the post, feel free to say hi, laugh at my ramblings, ask a question etc.

Regards,

CFF