Friday 21 November 2008

Better late than never.

Seems that the allotment blogger’s are going into blog slumber!

It’s been a while for me since I last updated. Darkening evenings sadly mean its night time before I even think about leaving work these days.

Throw in the rain that’s guaranteed to start on Saturday morning and end on Sunday evening and a couple of weekends where I have had to work or couldn't get over the plot because of other commitments means I haven’t really been there very much at all.

I have managed few very quick vegetable raids. We made Cous cous which required turnips and celery so Max and I picked a bunch of them. All the celery has now been eaten; I love the stuff dripping with peanut butter.

I still have some calabrese which is sprouting here and there but it’s definitely on its last legs. The Brussels sprouts are ready now, as are the leeks and there’s still a load of Swede sitting happily. The sprouting broccoli is starting to spear and the some of the leeks are big enough now although I'm a bit disappointed with the size so will look at moving them and feeding them something to fatten them up for next year.

I popped over last night in the dark to get some winter salads - I’ve been growing radicchio and some green salad variety which looks like a gem as it hearts up nicely. I forget the name but they were great when we used them as a substitute for pancakes with crispy duck, the last of my cucumbers and hoi sin sauce. I'll be having a nice prawn cocktail with more of this on Sunday. I also picked the last of my headed cabbage. It was small and my wife laughed at it because it’s not going to feed the whole family so I'm thinking coleslaw and defrost some of our sweet corns with breaded chicken, in other words home made KFC.

Weather forecasts’ suggests near zero degrees tonight. Crikey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi from Cazaux's Food Factory,

Hope you enjoyed the post, feel free to say hi, laugh at my ramblings, ask a question etc.

Regards,

CFF